Wednesday, September 1, 2010

An Iftaar Treat - Dahi Bread



During ramadan there are some days when I just don't feel like going to the kitchen and preparing something elaborate. Well, this is what happened recently and I knew I had to make something for iftaar but didn't want to labour away for long. Then I saw some bread on the counter and immediately remembered this dish that I have always eaten in a relatives house during ramadan. It is easy to make and tastes good. Though I didn't know the exact way to make it  I started off with my own quantities and it turned out perfect. The amount of yogurt used was just right as the bread soaked it up nicely but did not become soggy which is something that can easily happen in this dish. I think whole wheat bread is really good for this as it is not very soft to begin with. But Latifs' aunt (from whom I learnt this) always uses white bread so I guess its just a matter of choice.



Recipe

Ingredients  - Serves 4 - 5

5 Whole Wheat Bread Slices (White or Brown will also do)
1 1/4 Cup Thick Yogurt (Divided)
3/4 Cup Water (Divided)*
3 Tbsp Sugar
Pinch of Salt
Red Chilli Powder - As needed
Cumin (Zeera) Powder - As needed
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Coriander Leaves (Cilantro)
Plain Sev for Topping

* Note - If your yogurt is not thick do not add water. Whisk well and use as is. You may need to increase the quantity of the yogurt.

Trim the sides of the bread slices with a sharp knife to get a square shape. Keep aside.
Combine 1 cup of the yogurt with 1/2 cup of water, sugar and salt. Whisk well till the sugar is dissolved.
Take an 8X6 rectangle glass dish (or a similar dish with high sides). Pour 1/4 cup worth of the whisked yogurt on the bottom and arrange two slices of bread on top.
Sprinkle a little red chilli powder and cumin powder according to taste.
Repeat with the remaining yogurt and two bread slices ensuring that all the bread is completely soaked in the yogurt. Trim the 5th slice of bread and fit it into the corners where the bread slices are missing.
Combine the remaining 1/4 cup thick yogurt and 1/4 cup water and pour evenly all over the top. Sprinkle with red chilli powder and cumin powder.
Cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least an hour. Remove from the fridge just before serving and garnish with the onions, coriander leaves and sev. Cut into 9 equal portions using a sharp knife and serve immediately.

Happy Eating!!

3 comments:

  1. Sana, sounds great, but none of the pictures are visible, please check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just wanted to stop by to let you know that you won a copy of Cooking for Geeks!! Congrats! Drop me an email at stef at cupcakeproject dot com and let me know if you want it mailed somewhere in the US or if you would prefer an ebook. BTW - I learned that my microwave actually has a potato button on it - it's the ultimate in laziness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sana,

    Great job !!! And keep it going on and on!!

    Keep seeing ur blog and reading all the new dishes that u make....really lovely.

    Now I know why Mr. Shaikh is gaining so much weight....all credit goes to you :)

    Take care,
    Rgds,
    Preeti

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! If you have any thoughts, queries or suggestions please do let me know. I would love to hear from you!